Frequency Therapeutics Announces its Board of Directors and the Appointment of Marc A. Cohen as Chairman
Frequency is building an innovative pipeline of small molecule drugs that activate progenitor cells within the body to restore healthy tissue; Lead program addresses chronic noise induced hearing loss
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., January 5, 2017 – Frequency Therapeutics, a company spearheading the movement to restore hearing by harnessing the regenerative potential of progenitor cells in the body, today announced its Board of Directors. Led by Marc A. Cohen of COBRO Ventures as Chairman, members of the Frequency Board were selected for their industry leadership and wealth of management skills to provide a diverse governance team for the company. The Board Members include Tim Barberich, founder and former CEO and Chairman of Sepracor, Inc. (now known as Sunovion), Marc Kozin, Senior Advisor and former President of L.E.K. Consulting, Robert S. Langer, Sc.D., Frequency Co-founder and the David H. Koch Institute Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and David Lucchino, Frequency Co-founder, President and Chief Executive Officer.
Frequency Therapeutics was founded to translate the breakthrough work in Progenitor Cell Activation (PCA) by its scientific founders, Robert Langer, Sc.D., and Jeff Karp, Ph.D., at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard Medical School, into new treatments, where controlled tissue regeneration with locally delivered drugs could have profound therapeutic potential. The company has licensed foundational patents from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Partners Healthcare. These technologies will be used to advance Frequency’s PCA platform to create disease modifying therapies that activate the body’s dormant abilities to heal, with the lead program focused on small molecules that can reverse chronic noise induced hearing loss.
“Frequency is poised to become a leader in the treatment of chronic hearing loss, a potential $20 billion market with no existing effective therapeutic solutions,” said Marc A. Cohen. “The technologies licensed from MIT and Partners provide a broad platform for Frequency to uncover and activate the regenerative potential of progenitor cells for unprecedented healing benefits in the treatment of hearing loss, eye and skin disorders, gastrointestinal diseases and diabetes.”
“This stellar Board of Directors brings to Frequency a wealth of business acumen and expertise in the biotech and pharmaceutical communities,” said David Lucchino. “We look forward to working with our Board and advisors to grow Frequency into a world-renowned regenerative medicine company.”
The Frequency Therapeutics Board of Directors:
- Marc Cohen is the Chairman of Frequency Therapeutics. He is a serial entrepreneur and investor in biotechnology and technology companies. He is the co-founder and/or chairman of C4 Therapeutics, Acetylon Pharmaceuticals, OncoPep, COBRO Ventures, Frequency Therapeutics and Bublup. Marc was co-founder, chairman and CEO of OPNET Technologies, which he sold to Riverbed Technology in 2012. Marc is also an active member of the Board of Trustees of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
- Robert S. Langer, Sc.D., is a co-founder of Frequency and an Institute Professor at MIT. He has written more than 1,350 articles and has over 1,100 issued and pending patents worldwide. He started over 30 companies and his patents have been licensed to over 300 companies. He is one of the 10 most cited individuals, and the most cited engineer, in history.
- Tim Barberich founded the pharmaceutical company Sepracor, Inc., and served as CEO for more than 20 years. Under his leadership, revenues grew more than a billion dollars as the company partnered and commercialized products, including Allegra®, Clarinex®, Lunesta® and Xopenex®. In 2009, Sepracor, now known as Sunovion, was acquired by Dainippon Sumitomo to form one of the largest Japanese-based global pharmaceutical companies.
- Marc Kozin is the former President of L.E.K. Consulting, a global management consulting firm. Marc has over thirty years of experience, both domestically and internationally, advising senior executives in the life sciences on new growth opportunities and the pursuit of highly-profitable mergers and acquisitions.
- David Lucchino is the Co-founder, President and CEO of Frequency Therapeutics and the current Vice-Chairman of Massachusetts Biotechnology Council. David’s first MIT-based startup, Semprus BioSciences, earned FDA and CE Mark approval on its way to a major acquisition in less than five years from its founding. Previously, David was the President and Chief Executive Officer of Entrega Bio, a PureTech Health (UK:PRTC) company and an executive at Polaris Partners.
ABOUT FREQUENCY THERAPEUTICS
Frequency Therapeutics develops small molecule drugs that activate progenitor cells within the body to restore healthy tissue. Through the transitory activation of these progenitor cells, Frequency enables disease modification without the complexity of genetic engineering. Our lead program re-creates sensory cells in the inner ear to treat chronic noise induced hearing loss, which affects over 30 million people in the U.S. alone. www.frequencytx.com.
Stefanie Tuck or Kari Watson
MacDougall Biomedical Communications